Umkhumbi Lodge in Hluhluwe is perfectly positioned as an accommodation base to explore all the wonders of the Elephant Coast in KwaZulu-Natal. Our bush lodge is inside Kuleni Game Park, which is a private nature reserve near to Hluhluwe-Imfolozi, uMkhuze, iSimangaliso and the St Lucia Wetlands. All the below activities are easily done as day trips, so you can base yourself with us and fully explore the area. All activities can be done independently as a self drive tour or as an organised private tour.
You can download our activities document for full details and prices of the activities available.
- Guided and self guided walking trails on the property and in nearby nature reserves.
- 4×4 Game Drive Safaris in Hluhluwe-Imfolozi Big 5 and Mkhuze Game Reserves.
- Turtle tours – experience Africa’s gentle giants – the magnificent Loggerhead and Leatherback turtles nesting on the beach (November – February).
- Birding – over 900 species of birds can be found in the area in the various eco systems of the Elephant Coast and there are a number of hotspots close to the lodge and in the nearby wetlands, game parks, pans and bays.
- St Lucia Wetlands (Isimangaliso) is one of South Africa’s World Heritage sites and activities include kayaking, boat cruises and guided walks
- The Sodwana Bay experience includes scuba diving and deep sea fishing.
- Tiger fishing - battle the legendary Tiger Fish at Lake Jozini.
- Elephant encounters at Tembe Elephant Park.
- Zulu Croc Centre – exhilarating close-up views of crocodiles and snakes at this sanctuary.
- Get close and personal to African cats such as Serval and Cheetah.
- Visit homesteads, a local school and experience everyday life with the proud Zulu community in our Cultural Tours.
- Enjoy the great views over the expanses of the lake at False Bay – a great family day out.
- Night walks – venture out at night to discover our nocturnal creatures, how many different species of Frogs can you find?
- Purchase your souvenirs and local crafts and enjoy a spot of lunch at the nearby Ilala Weavers.
- Explore abundant birdlife while kayaking and canoeing at Muzi Pan with the chance to see hippos and crocodiles.